Jubilee Sparkling Seyval Naturel Poached Mussels
Mussels in a creamy Herb Broth with Buttered Baguette Toast
(Recipe adapted from the Fundamentals of Classic Cuisine, The French Culinary Institute)
For the Mussels:
- 30 grams unsalted butter
- 60 grams shallots, cisele
- 300 ml Jubilee Sparkling Seyval Naturel
- 1.5 kilo mussels, cleaned, debearded and soaked in a flour/salt mixture
- 400 ml heavy cream, reduced by half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 grams chives, hache
- 10 grams tarragon, hache
For the Baguette Toasts:
- 1 baguette
- 113 grams butter
- 10 grams chives, hache
- Sweat shallots in butter
- Add sparkling Seyval and bring to a simmer
- Add mussels and cook until they just open, tossing after 2 minutes to ensure even cooking and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, or until mussels have opened.
- Remove mussels from broth, cover with a little bit of jus and parchment paper
- Reduce broth until flavorful and then add reduced heavy cream
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (you wont need much salt)
- Add herbs and mussels to broth.
- Toss and serve with toasts in a shallow bowl.
For the Toasts:
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise and then into fourths on the bias
- Melt butter in a sautoir and lightly brown bread until both sides are saturated with butter
- Remove and sprinkle with salt and chives.